Thursday, January 15, 2009

Screen Capture of My Desktop




The screen shot above was captured from my computer desktop while composing a fictional story. I was also writing for my UMD blog, listening to music, watching South Park and chatting with my best friend. I use several distractions when creating composition to maintain my flow of thought and stay motivated.


When I first saw my computer desktop as a screen shot, I felt like I was on another person’s computer. I’ve become so accustomed to using my computer for certain purposes and turning it off without taking a second to realize what it really looked like.


Composing changes shape in the digital spaces quite dramatically. Handwritten work takes longer to compose and may have spelling errors. This kind of composition requires more time and effort in creating a professional design. Typed composition can be checked by a word processor to avoid spelling and grammatical errors. A layout or design can be found as a template and there are options to delete and start over without wasting paper. With technology, there is less time, effort and material needed to be spent on composing in the digital space.


To better understand the digital composing processes, I believe people must research to learn information and then expand their knowledge through trial and error. A person must become familiar with the tools available for composing in the digital spaces and learn through their mistakes. For example, fast and easy composition can be achieved through word processors, blogs, emails, and social networking sites. Using these tools to communicate on a regular basis can also help someone better understand digital composing processors.

No comments:

Post a Comment