Thursday, January 22, 2009

Advocacy Project: Healthy Dog Breeding

For Project One, I will advocate for the awareness of healthy dog breeding. Several important factors must be considered when breeding new puppies. Responsible breeders must evaluate the breeding dogs’ temperament. If the dog doesn’t appear healthy mentally or physically, who says the offspring will be any healthier? Breeding dogs must have a comfortable, clean and safe living environment. They must be stress free and monitored very closely, especially during the end of the pregnancy.


Puppy mills are usually for profit and as a result, the well-being of dogs is largely ignored. Dogs are underfed and overcrowded. They cannot be left alone in a cage, without treats or toys, to be impregnated over and over until they are too old to reproduce. These mills do not evaluate the market properly. Puppies are sold at high price to pet stores, who resell it to naive consumers. There are shelters and humane societies overpopulated with abandoned dogs and puppies merely because the pets didn’t meet the owner’s expectations.


Bringing animals into this world requires a lifelong commitment. I began to feel strongly about healthy dog breeding after my car accident last month. A documentary on puppy mills made me forget everything I was going through. I believe we can reach several solutions to help promote healthy dog breeding and I wish to demonstrate these solutions through a five page website. If the website idea doesn’t work out, I’ll advocate through a PowerPoint presentation.







2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the healthy dog breeding. My cousin has a dog and it runs from him everytime my cousin comes near it, I think it is because he abuses the dog. Animal abuse would be an interesting topic to advocate for as well. From your project, a lot of people can learn about the importance of taking a dog, or any other kind of pet, in and how it is a big responsibility to take care or a pet. Although pets are nice to have, they have a life to live as well, and it is the owner's responsibility to take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. Both of my dogs have their own, what we call, "issues". The one was in like 4 or 5 different homes before we took her, which was before she was even a year old. The other one was sold from the back of a truck of off the highway (my aunt bought her and we got stuck with her). Puppy mills are horrible and people need to see what happens to those dogs kept in them.

    ReplyDelete